Monday, May 18, 2015

Monday, 5/18 – Glacier Bay, more than the common cold



Very early this morning the boat paused to pick up US Park Rangers to assist us in viewing Glacier Bay National Park.  The official Park brochure had been door-dropped last night, so we were a little educated.  As it would be a while before we reached the head of the bay, we enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant.  As we were preparing to amble back to the room, the captain came on to announce that we were defending against the norovirus.  Though there are only a couple dozen folks affected at the moment, of course it will take “crowd wisdom” to contain it … we were urged to hand-wash at every opportunity and reminded that the omnipresent Purell is a backup, not the primary protection against contamination.  Though the news was unwelcome, we felt the communication was handled well (contrasted to another boat on which friends had been flat-out deceived about an outbreak – ugh!).

Back in the stateroom we had the TV turned to the “View from The Bridge” channel where the rangers were speaking.  There was too much big ice for the ship to be safe in the area around the glaciers we first passed, so we were able to hang around the main attraction for longer.  Happily for us, our port-side exposure was offered the first view (though many folks were out on the open decks).  We did see several large chunks calve off, and the thundershots of the ice giving in to the relentless pressure from above were ongoing.  Quite remarkable to be facing this sheer wall of ice as tall as many city buildings, and watch it slowly self-destruct.
When the boat turned around to afford the starboard units their turn, I trotted off to the laundry figuring everyone else would still be viewing.   

WRONG-O!  It was the hottest ticket in town.   A mother/daughter pair showed me the ropes and made me promise to pass the training forward, and man did I ever have opportunity!  The vending machine ran out of detergent, but I’d overheard one of the room attendants give the extension to call.  Happily, replenishment arrived quickly.  With all the coming and going, I didn’t manage to complete either of the two magazines I’d brought along to pass the time.

More reports on the virus from new visitors to the laundry … afflicted passengers are, of course, quarantined but the boat is taking no chances … security is stationed outside those stateroom doors.   Must be weird for the passengers inside, but it’s comforting to those of us not involved.  Angie and I fully intend to remain Pure!

Now it’s nearly lunchtime and Angie comes along to see if I’m still around.  It’s just a few minutes until our dryer completes its cycle; we fold everything up and get outta there – no slackening of the pace as folks check on laundry-in-progress or arrive hoping for an available machine.  Glad I didn’t wait until tomorrow! 
We decided to dine in the restaurant … first sit-down lunch of this trip.  As expected, all items usually shared were gone – no salt & pepper shakers, no bread basket, no butter dish.   All was provided by the service staff, item by item, as requested.  We met folks from the Pasadena area and Australia, and again Angie was able to contribute valuable information to family members of kids with disabilities.  I have been impressed, sadly, with how many people we’ve met who are in that situation.

We had decided we were too stretched to enjoy the last tour we had reserved, a 6-hour excursion to north of the Arctic Circle.  It would be 2 hours flying up, 2 on the ground, 2 back … returning us after midnight when our flights home left at 6:30 AM.  I’d been trying to make the cancellation since last night and won’t document the aggravating details (THAT is a letter to Princess!), but finally with some research and providing Princess’ own documentation, my loyal and patient helper at customer service was able to connect me with someone who could do the dirty deed.  That’s a relief … it really sounded like fun, but we are in total overload at this point and have days to go yet.  Common sense had to prevail!

It’s Formal Night again tonight, but since we passed muster before, we’ll do it again, and once more at the very first available reservation.  We get a nice dinner with folks we’ve enjoyed before, and escape the serious show-offs.  I sound like a grump, I know, but the whole dress-up routine just doesn’t float my boat nor Angie’s (though she's MUCH better at it than I am).  Then a nice snooze; tomorrow is College Fjord and packing up for the land portion of the adventure.

Oh BOY!  Got our disembarkation orders and we’re to muster into the dining room at 6:10A Wednesday morning.  Lucky ducks, we got the very first call (though our cohort has only three, the last being at 6:30A).  We’ll have to really enjoy our last calm start tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment